first contact with Universal Studios

The internet tv station I have set up at www.worldtv.com/movietrailers is starting to get a few users now.

The last thing that i want is to loose my house if it is illegal to run it.

I spend a large amount of time researching copyright issues on the internet, and I have no idea if playing movie trailers via worldtv.com and youtube is legal.

So I thought i would ask the experts.

Firstly I asked worldtv.com for their opinion. basically i asked if i am going to be sued. Here is their reply

"
Hi Anton,

You should abide by the relevant YouTube Terms and Conditions and WorldTV Terms and Conditions http://worldtv.com/pages/terms/ but with many movie trailers not being copyrighted and the fact that such trailers promote the movies you should be ok.

Thanks,

WorldTV
"


My opinion on their reply is that they are probably incorrect on the "movie trailers not being copyrighted"

They may be right on the "trailers promote the movies you should be ok". However simply promoting something does not mean that it complies with copyright "fair use"


So to try and find out for sure, I have sent off my first email to Universal Studioes licensing division to get their input.

I wait with anticipation for thier reply.

0 comments: